Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bags of memories

There are 2 bags of jewelry here that my mom made.  You might as well have plopped down 2 bags full of memories.  My mom was so talented and she didn't even understand or know that she was.  Sometimes people are obviously smart, like getting 5 billion on SATs. .. or making honor roll. . . but my mom was very creatively smart, and I know that I got that skill from her.  Unfortunately, I did not get the skill of being crafty and making things.  I remember going downstairs and being shown all of her pieces.  I remember going to the craft shows and being called a lucky charm because she said when I was there, she sold more stuff.  One craft show in particular was so much fun.  They had these stuffed peppers and mashed potatoes that were amazing.  I really had a great time stuffing my face with my mom.  I know it is just eating.  But, now, when I remember her crying because she wasn't able to eat her favorite salad from the French Coffee Shop, that memory of pigging out means more to me than it ever did before.  I know it is silly, but I love making signs.  My sisters in law always seem to need signs for things, and I will create the funkiest signs.  When I am finished, I stare at my "master piece" and I know that those talents were from my mother.  Another fun fact:  I love to shop... I probably have a borderline problem. . .but I love it.  I would "shop" at my mom's house for jewelry.  She would want to just give the jewelry to me, but I refused to take it for free and I would pay.  I would take the discount she offered me though :).  I really miss going to the craft shows.  That was the best time my mom and I would spend together.  That and going to the mall together.  I remember the last time we went shopping together at the grocery store.  She would put a bunch of crap in the cart, and then put most of it back because she would change her mind.  We went to eat lunch at Cracker Barrel.  I remember being whiny and crabby that day.  If I would have known that was the last time my mom and I would have eaten lunch together, I would have told her that our time together spent hanging out was some of the best times I have ever had.  I was thankful that my mom could also be one of my friends and that we could talk so freely.  I would tell her thank you for everything she did for me when I was a kid like driving me all over town to do music and dance.  She always nurtured my creative side.  I remember being the shyest kid in the world----covering my face when meeting new people.  As I grew older, I grew out of being shy. . . . but I know this had partly to do with my mom.  As an adult, when I hung around my mom, I felt like a kid.  I wanted her attention just like a kid would want.  I wanted her to think I was amazing.  I wanted her to think that I could do no wrong.  I wanted her to say I was pretty.  She would always say I could be a model.  She would tell me how talented I was.  She would tell me how pretty my hair was.  I know this may seem babyish, but I loved it.  I loved hearing this stuff about me that no one else would say.  It is always hard to believe good things about yourself.  My mom was so special.  I thought she would be alive much longer than this.  I miss you so much Mom.  Not because you told me how kickass I am. . . but because you were one of a kind and I miss our fun.  I wish I could tell you that.

No comments:

Post a Comment